Although I live in Los Angeles, often times I forget that I’m in one of the most famous tourist cities in the US. That is until one of my travel friends I met while in Greece came in to town for 24 Hours. Then I was all about making sure she had The BEST 24 Hours in LA. She is a solo traveler like myself, so I wanted to make things as easy for her as possible until I could meet up with her.
Read on to see how you should conquer LA if you only have 24 Hrs to spend in this star studded city.
1st Thing: Ditch Your Luggage!
Drop it off at whatever hotel you’re staying at.
Side Note: I suggest staying in Santa Monica if you can. It’s close to LAX and you’ll be able to drop your luggage without going out of your way. (If you prefer to stay in Hollywood, that’s okay too! We’ll actually start our day here.)
Or if you prefer to not have to deal with dragging around your HUGE suitcase you could always drop it at LAX Luggage Storage and put everything you need in a backpack for the day. After all, you’re only here for a day.
(Future Posts to Come on Best Hotels to stay at on any Travel Budget in Los Angeles and links to every place I mention at the bottom of the post)
2nd Thing: Make Your Way to Hollywood!
Here are three easy ways to make your way into Hollywood on any travel budget.
- UberX or Lyft
- SuperShuttle (Or Similar Group Passenger Shuttles)
- Bus to Metro. (From Terminal 1 You can take the LAX2US bus. There are no stops, it’s a direct shot! And from there (Union Station) you can take the Red Line to Hollywood and Highland, the center of all the action!)
Now that you’re in the center of Hollywood, here are some things you MUST do while in the area.
- Walk the Walk of Fame – There’s just something iconic about seeing the Stars on Hollywood Blvd. Find your Favorite Celebs and take a pic! This a great do it yourself picture opportunity (Put your feet slightly on the star and snap a pic from above).
- Visit Grauman’s Chinese Theatre – Put Your Hands and Feet Where Iconic Celebs Have and Experience all the history of Hollywood!
- Take a pic in front of the iconic El Capitan Theatre – I know this sounds silly, but you’ll want to the theatre is eye catching! (For my single ladies, maybe find a hot guy to take the pic for you? You can do this at any of the locations you’ll be visiting today, all your travel photos can’t be selfies, AND LA has no shortage of HOT Guys!)
- View the Hollywood Sign from the Hollywood and Highland Center – And browse for a bit while you’re there!
- Do lunch by the pool and make sure you explore the famous Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel! – If you end up not staying in Santa Monica, I do highly suggest staying at this hotel! Side Note: This was Marilyn Monroe’s Hotel of Choice.
- Take in the Views at The Griffith Observatory – You can’t leave the Hollywood Area without taking in these gorgeous view AND seeing one of the iconic spots from La La Land.
Bonus Thing to Do:
Visit the Museum of Broken Relationships (Ever wonder where those fluffy stuffed animal gifts he gave you go to live after your relationship is over? You’ve guessed it, here! All my single ladies, have fun!)
Third Thing: Make Your Way back to Santa Monica!
- Visit the Pier – No matter what time of year, the pier is sure to bring you joy! From games to rides (Ferris Wheel!!) and carnival type foods you won’t regret coming here to take in the Ocean Breeze.
- Bike to Venice Beach – Make your way to the quirkiness of Venice Beach and get in a bit of exercise at the same time. When you’re done taking in the vendors and performers, relax on the beach for a bit, you’ve earned it!
4th Thing: Get Ready for a Night on the Town!
(For this article I’m taking you out in Downtown LA, so you get to experience more of LA. In later articles, I’ll show you the best restaurants and nightlife in other cities around Los Angeles)
Grand Central Market – This “Food Court” has everything you might want to eat. Don’t worry you won’t find a McDonald’s here. Only Yummy, Trendy, Budget Friendly Food!
Bottega Louie – Come for the Food and Stay for Desserts! Important thing to remember, they don’t take reservations BUT it’s worth the wait!
Perch – You won’t be disappointed with the food and views at this French inspired restaurant! This is a great place to eat and then start your night off right with cocktails (and maybe there will be live music on the night you’re there too!).
EightyTwo – The “perfect” low key atmosphere, great drinks, video games, and music for dancing! What more could a girl ask for??
The Edison – Step back in time to a different era, just make sure you wore the one LBD you packed (strict dress code!). But you’ll love the 40s Flapper Vibe and Burlesque Dancers!
The Standard – If you really want to experience EVERYTHING LA, this is the spot to do it! Make sure you’ve dressed LA Trendy and be prepared to take in The Scene.
5th Thing : Go back to your hotel, try to get a little rest so that you don’t miss your flight in the AM!
Before you head to the airport, grab a cup of coffee at one of the many trendy coffee bars and sit on the sand of Santa Monica Beach one last time. This is one of the best ways to start your day before you continue with the rest of your travels!
This is how I would do LA if I had 24 Hrs to spend here, if you would do it differently, I’d love to hear your thoughts below!
Links to all the places I spoke about below: